Joel

Joel

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Truth and Ink

So I am going today to get a new tattoo. Through this process I always think, "ok this thing is going to be on me forever, I want to make sure it says something to ME, before it speaks to someone else." And that it speaks to my life as it continues to develop.

As i have been contemplating what I would like to have done I began thinking about how this process should apply to life.

Some of the dumbest things I have ever done or said came out of such heartfelt conviction at that moment. It would seem that what was "truth" at that moment caused me to act in a way that defended said convictions .

It is strange how in just a few short years as we develop and learn more "that specific truth" doesn't look as "holy" or compelling as it once did. I once thought, for example, that certain genres of music would send you to hell. I was thoroughly convinced of this, and felt I had God's approval to believe so.

I am not implying that we should live in a gray area of complacence or indecision. I am simply asking if your current belief was a tattoo would you be as quick to put it on for all to see forever? I think that some of the most damaging things I have ever seen have come out of strong religious or moral fervor.

Ultimately truth is as sharp as a two edged sword, but we are those entrusted to wield the sword. We must always be cautious that the truth we are carrying is correctly dividing soul and spirit.

I never want to be someone who looks back at my impact in someone's life and sees it as an old tattoo that I don't even recognize.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment